Friday, February 1, 2013

Grass isn't always greener....

Hi friends! Just a quick update to let you know, Violet did get her Synagis shot for January!However, how much we'll pay out of pocket, or if it will be approved this month is yet to be determined, so the saga continues....
All dressed up for a tea-party

We have new health insurance this year, and let me tell you, it's only February 1 and  already it has been a full time job for me! Yesterday I spent the majority of rest time on the phone (when I was really hoping for a long hot shower and some peace and quiet ) calling the insurance, then the CF clinic, then the pharmacy, then the insurance again, then the doctor called me and I was introduced to a new pharmacy, who when I called had conveniently " closed early for inventory" Ahh....Dead end, back at it again this a.m.!

Along with this new insurance, (who promised no prescription co-pays would change, along with continuous coverage of the same things we had before)came a lot of " not covered" " needs prior authorizations" and " exceeds maximum coverage"...GREAT!

Lucky for Violet, her mama does not give up easily!

It's funny that when we had Aetna I wasn't thrilled, and I always thought that someday we'd get a new, better insurance. Ahh those days are gone! I remember (in my pre-baby days) paying a lot more for birth control pills then most of my friends. I bawked at some of the outrageous remarks the insurance made, and how they considered some things " not medically necessary" or  " experimental" and footed us the entire bill. Yet after having two babies, I have to say our copays, pre-pays and even prescription coverage were reasonable.Still there had to be a better option out there.



Violet's daily regimen of enzymes, salt, Multivitamins, albuterol, and PediaSure
She takes 4 enzymes every time she eats anything, that's up to 24 pills a day
 

The grass isn't always greener, and so we are learning....

After our visit to the clinic this month I went to a local Pharmacy were I was told, by the insurance, and doctor's office that we could fill her 3 month supply of meds. No, they can only fill 1 month at a time ( Strike One), and that 1 month supply will cost almost as much as the 3 month supply was previously ( Strike 2) and if we did want to fill that 1 month supply we'd have to come back in 2 days because they had to order this " uncommon" medicine ( Ugh Strike 3, I'm outta here)
Luckily our clinic directed me to a Pharmacy that deals entirely with CF patients and their meds. Awesome. I call, I set up an account, I let the doc know and he faxes a script for a 3 mo supply, and then 3-5 business days later the meds will arrive at our house at a lot cheaper price then through our insurance. Fingers crossed it all works out this simply.

Nutella mustache

Here it is February 1, and between visits for the 4 of us, we are already well on our way to meeting our family deductible for the year. That can be good and bad news I suppose. It means once our deductible is met we only pay 10% of the services, co-pays etc, but not sure it'll even benefit us come prescriptions. That is a shame, and as bad as it may seem for us, I can't fathom what people with out any insurance have to endure. Worse yet, I can not even imagine the fights and pre-auths and such we will have to go through when Violet is old enough to start on Kalydeco.This important drug, is currently only available to kids and adults 6+. It will miraculously help reduce her symptoms. It is a miracle and a necessity. Did I mention the market price for Kalydeco is over $25,000 per month??

 It's always princess time at our house!
 
Muah! Blowing kisses!!
 Captain crazy hair
Trying to play Just Dance 4
Kylie is playing, and the little girls are probably more in the way then anything!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment